The Life of John and Emily

Thursday, June 30, 2011

1 Year Later

Since John's work year begins and ends in July, June has been filled with both goodbye and welcome parties. Below are some pictures from after the 3rd year resident graduation banquet.

Me and some of my good girlfriends, Stacey and Shannon.
(Have no idea how that line got in the picture either)

John with Sarah and Lindsey, who are both in his resident class.
Shannon and I again. Shannon is from California and could possibly be moving back if her boyfriend John takes a Sports Medicine position in San Diego. However, there is a strong possibility that he could take a job here in Winston-Salem as well, so I am REALLY hoping that he does that so they can stay : )

All year, John and everyone in his Intern Resident class have been rotating through different services in the hospital. The rotations range from OB to General Surgery, and each last for about 4-6 weeks. When it is time to switch to the next rotation, John's class has a "Switch" Party. Everyone takes a turn hosting it at their house, and it was at Christy's (the girl in the striped tank top in the picture below) house this past Monday night. It was Christy who hosted the first Switch Party last June, therefore it was only fitting that she host the first one of 2nd year.
The picture below is of me and all the girls, minus Lindsey, in John's Resident class. John is the only male who is married in his class, therefore I am the only wife as well as the only girl who is not medical at all their functions. Now a year ago, I admit, I felt really intimidated by this. Thankfully though that didn't last for long. From day one these sweet girls have been so welcoming and friendly to me, and I just couldn't ask for a better group of people for John to work with.

This is all of John'a Resident class, minus Andy.
Looking back, it is safe to say that John adjusted way more easily to the move here than I did. This time last year I was jobless, terrified of not meeting any friends, and desperately homesick for Birmingham. Oh my goodness can a lot change in a year!!! I'm now employed as a full time nanny and thankfully very blessed with many great friends. And although I sometimes still miss Birmingham, it's not because I'm homesick because I know Birmingham isn't my home anymore. My home is here with John and that is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the whole world. If our 2nd year here is anything like our first has been, than we have a lot to look forward to : )


No comments:

Post a Comment