The Life of John and Emily

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Our Mountain(s) Getaway

John and I spent the end of last week and weekend in the beautiful mountains of Asheville, NC and Chattanooga, TN. In our true non-planner style, we both by complete accident had the same days off from work. Originally, John had taken off the end of last week to go on a guy trip that ended up being held on a different weekend, and I just happened to be off work those same days because my family that I nanny for was going to the beach for that entire week. Well after we both realized we had all the same days off, we decided that it would be the perfect time to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and visit his family that he hasn't seen since our move to Winston-Salem in May.
I had known we were going to Chattanooga, but our detour to Asheville came as a complete surprise. Without telling me, John had planned for us to stay at this adorable bed and breakfast in Asheville called the Sweet Biscuit Inn. I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a cozy big house, charming people, and a delicious warm breakfast served with some of the best coffee in America.
After our time in Asheville we headed to Chattanooga where we spent our first night downtown staying at the Stone Fort Inn. Personally I think downtown Chattanooga is one of the best cities in America with the beautiful mountains and the Tennessee River as your backdrop, so needless to say I was very excited about staying there. Although our night began with us eating at a mediocre seafood restaurant that we got suckered into going to because we had been given a free appetizer coupon by the place where we were staying, it ended with us being treated like rockstars.
After dinner we decided to go the the movies. The place where we had chosen to see our movie just happened to have these special VIP theatres that you could watch your movie in if you were a member to their VIP club. Well let me just say these special "VIP theatres" look JUST like the ones where us regular people go to watch movies. So by a complete awesome accident John and I ended up in the VIP theatre where we not only got to sit in leather recliners but we also had a waiter, and oh its gets better, got served complimentary popcorn!!!! hahah Seriously though it was an awesome way to watch the new Wall Street Movie.
On Friday we finally got to meet up with John's sister Emily and her family. That night we went to the Baylor vs. McCallie high school football game. John is a Baylor alum and I can't even describe how excited he was to see Baylor win. He even got to see and catch up with his childhood/lifetime best friend, Michael.
Spending time with John's family was the best way to end the long weekend. On Saturday John and I got to go to a special luncheon held at Baylor in honor of his brother-in-law, Kurt, who was inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame at the school. After that we all just hung out, ate fabulous Japanese takeout, and watched football. We couldn't have planned this weekend any better if we tried : )
Cash in his Titan Uniform with John
The Original 4






No comments:

Post a Comment